Don’t Mess With Texas!
Both Christa and I appreciate our upbringing in Louisiana, but truly feel just as connected to Texas. Truth be told, it would be very hard to leave the 4th largest city because it has a small town feel with all the big city amenities (museums, restaurants, shopping, etc).
This blog was inspired after our friend Amy wrote about Louisiana and after our other friend Anna sent us great Texas pictures!
I found this Houston Press article entitled “50 Reasons Texas is the Best State in America”. I will share my favorites.
1. You are never very far from a Whataburger.
2. No state income tax!
3. Friday Night Lights. Not the book, movie or show — the real thing. High school football in small-town Texas is something everyone should experience at least once.
5. When you say you’re from Texas, no one in the world needs to ask where that is.
6. Watching families in their Sunday best getting the wildflower pictures that generations have taken before them.
7. The Gruene Dance Hall on a Saturday night, where it doesn’t seem like the 21st century at all.
8. If there’s an ethnic food that’s not available in Houston, it involves a very, very small ethnicity.
9. You have to admit — Texas politicians can be very entertaining. Dangerous, yes; misguided, almost always; but at least they provide lots of laughs, none of them intentional.
10. October in Texas almost makes up for August.
11. Blue Bell ice cream and the way Texans are fiercely loyal to it.
12. The Frio River on a scorching summer day. There’s a reason they call it the Frio.
13. The odds of meeting an actual astronaut are higher here than anywhere else.
14. The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo draws farm kids and their animals to Reliant Park and some of the biggest concerts of the year.
15. Kolaches: You will never find better ones than you do here.
Finally, enjoy these funny pictures!